Thursday, July 07, 2016

Crochet bonnet pattern

I stepped out of my comfort zone and wrote my very first crochet pattern! There are I am sure many many patterns out there for crochet newborn bonnets and maybe even some similar to this one. For me though its a big deal, five years ago I couldn't even crochet so to make something without using a pattern and be able to write up instructions for it is a huge thing.


This pattern is for a newborn baby using 8ply Carnival Soft yarn from Big W and a 4mm crochet hook. To make a bigger size you could use a larger hook or do more increase rounds.
Stitches used
ch - chain stitch
dc - double crochet
sl st - slip stitch
skp - 
vstitch - dc, ch1, dc all in same stitch

Start with a magic circle (how to here)
Ch 3 and dc 12 times inside circle join with a slip stitch and pull tight.
Ch 3, dc twice in each st around then sl st to join.
Ch 3, dc 2 in next st, dc in next st repeat all the way around and sl st to join.
Ch 3, dc 2 in next st, dc in next 2 stitches repeat all the way around and sl st to join.

For a larger hat you could keep increasing here.

From now on turn at the end of each row instead of working in a round.
Ch 3 skp, dc ch dc in next stitch (vstitch made) repeat around to last st, dc in last stitch, turn
repeat last row until desired length
I did 11 rows.
You could add a scalloped border here if you wanted.

Tie: chain 50, join to one side of bottom of bonnet, sc around the edge to other side then ch 50 fasten off



I hope that the pattern is straightforward. Would love some feedback as to how I've gone but please be kind.



Thanks for visiting
Lis :)

No comments:

Post a Comment