Tuesday, March 27, 2012

DIY Washi Tape

A few weeks back in my browsing around the net I found a really cool idea for making your own paper tape.
It looked really simple so I decided to have a go and made a little tutorial up to show how it was done.
The site I found it on can be found Here... Lots of other cool things on the site too.

Firstly gathered all the tools that I would need;

Assorted Tissue paper
Double sided tape
Sharp scissors


Lay the tissue paper down with the wrong side facing and cut lengths of double sided tape to whatever length your paper is.

Very carefully start to lay the tape down on the tissue paper, it helps to have the tissue paper secured in some way so that it doesnt move when you are putting the tape on.



Keep laying the tape onto the tissue paper untill it has filled the space (or you have done what you need).




Then carefully cut out the strips, if you are good you could stick the tape down so that you only have to cut once (im not that coordinated).


You are then left with strips of tissue tape.


I rolled mine up and secured with a paper clip, you may like to use another method. I used tissue paper, sewwing patterns, and serviettes after taking of the layers until I was left with the very top patterned piece.


To use, just cut the amount you want peal of the backing from the double sided tape and stick down onto your project.






So there you have a really simple way of making your own paper tape. The designs and colour are endless. If your like me you will be scouring stores for pretty tissue papers and serviettes from now on :)
You could also do this with heavier paper .

I store mine is a glass jar beside my desk.


Thanks for reading
Cheers Lis :)

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I must give this a try! Great idea to use sewing patterns for this technique, too! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is a really neat idea! Yup, I'm going to have to try this. Tks. for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This such a cool idea Lisa, and so simple too - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete